Coal mining were very important to the state economy.From 1888 to 1924,coal mine produced more than 652,000 tonnes of coal.
Transportation of Coal:
From Muara to Labuan & Singapore the coal was transported by steamers.British ship,Norwegian & Japanese Navy ship purchased coal from Brunei.
Development of Muara Town:
Effects of the discovery of coal were :-
- Population increased to 1,447 people by 1,911.
- Muara developed to become a self-sufficient town.
- Roads were built.
Decline of Coal Industry:
In 1920s,coal mining began to decline because:-
1) Unstable prices after the First World War.
- A worldwide shortage of coal after the First World War.
- The price fell down drastically from $17 per tonne in 1921 to $13 at the end of 1922.When prices fell as low as $9.50 per tonne in 1924, the Muara coal mine was closed down.
- Oil was discovered on Pulau Berambang the early 1900s.In 1924, the Brunei government halted coal production.
Done By : Siti Nor Mardhiatul Hazirah